Friday 10 January 2014

5 Quick and Healthy Breakfast Ideas

Hi everybody!
Today I have decided to do a breakfast idea blogpost. I realise that I am constantly rushing out the door every morning and 90% of the time, I will leave home without having any food. I am sure that there are some of you out there who are exactly the same, and really, I know how it feels to have no time to have any breakfast in the morning. For some people, even though they might be in a mad rush, they still find at least 5-10 minutes to sit down and have some food but for those who need to catch buses, trains and beat the morning rush hour traffic, it is not as easy as it seems.

One of my resolutions for the new year is actually to eat a lot healthier. I love my workout sessions and my occasional cleanse and I do think I live a fairly healthy and active lifestyle. However, when it comes to my eating, its a completely different story. I always have to resist the urge to grab every box of cookies from the supermarket shelves when I go food shopping because I know that if they are sat in the cupboards of my house, I will eat them all in one go (well obviously I can't manage so much cookies but I definitely do attempt to do that).

I have always been taught and told that skipping breakfast is one of the worst things that you can do to your body and as time goes by, I believe it more and more everyday. When you skip breakfast, your body starts to go into starvation mode because you have not consumed any food since you went to bed and if you have a proper sleeping and eating schedule, that would mean that the body has not had any food for about 10 to 12 hours. What happens is that when the body is in starvation mode, it tends to hold on to the fat. So if any of you out there are trying to shed a few pounds, let me tell you, skipping breakfast is definitely not the way to do so.

If I was not clear before, I do have breakfast but not at home and not healthy ones. After I have gotten to wherever it is I need to be, I will stop by cafes or coffee houses and grab some coffee and pastries, preferably croissants, which are not the healthiest of breakfast options, I must say so myself.

With that said, these are 5 of my quick and healthy breakfast ideas.

Raspberry and Blackberry Smoothie

  • 1 small banana
  • 1 cup of fresh raspberries
  • 1/2 cup of blackberries
  • 6 ounces of vanilla yogurt 
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 4 ice cubes
Place the banana, raspberries, blackberries, yogurt, honey and ice cubes in a blender and bland until smooth.


This is a perfect on-the-go breakfast and it is really healthy as well. The berries are amazing vitamins and fibres that will keep you going for longer and honey is a healthy natural sweetener that helps with clearer skin. You can always use fat-free or non-fat yogurt and feel free to add in different types of fruits and berries to find the perfect combination that you prefer. This might not seem a lot in quantity but I promise you, it will keep you going until lunch time.

Cinnamon Porridge with Bananas and Berries
  • 100g porridge oats
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 4 tsp brown sugar
  • 450ml skimmed milk
  • 3 bananas, sliced
  • 400g punnet strawberries, halved
  • 150g pot fat-free natural yogurt
In a medium sized saucepan, add in the porridge oats, cinnamon, sugar, milk and half of the sliced bananas, stirring occasionally then turn down the heat to cook for another 4-5 minutes. Serve in individual bowls topped with sliced bananas, strawberries, a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of cinnamon.


This recipe is enough for 4 servings so if you can make this for the rest of your family members as well and I am sure they will appreciate it. This takes about 10-15 minutes to prepare so it is not the quickest of breakfasts but it is really healthy and delicious and it feeds more than just yourself which is always good.

Honey Granola
  • 250g honey
  • 2 tbsp sunflower oil
  • 360g oats
  • 100g almonds, coarsely chopped
  • 100g walnuts, coarsely chopped
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 150 raisins
Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C. Heat the honey and oil in a saucepan until runny then add in all dry ingredients apart from the raisins with 1 teaspoon of salt and stir well. Spread the mixture over two baking sheets and bake in the oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until golden brown. Let it cool then stir in raisins and store in an airtight container.



This can be done during the weekend or whenever you get the chance and then in the morning you can just grab it and go. Have it with yogurt or almond milk or just by itself and it will make a delicious breakfast, healthy as well! Keep it properly and it can last you up to about a week or so.

Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich

  • Cooking spray
  • 2 tbsp peanut butter
  • 2 slices of whole wheat bread
  • 1 banana, sliced
Heat a pan over medium heat and coat with a thin layer of cooking spray. Spread the peanut butter on one side of the bread and place the bananas on top then press together with the other slice of bread. Fry for about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.



The perfect sandwich and definitely one of my favourites. It is simple and easy to make and tastes just as good as any pastries you will get it cafes but healthier and better for you. This can also make a nice light lunch if you would like.

Granola, Berry and Yogurt Parfait
  • 2 cups greek yogurt
  • 2 cups granola
  • 2 cups of fresh berries of your choice/ other fruits
  • 4 tbsp honey
Spoon 2 tablespoons of yogurt into the serving dish and spoon 2 tablespoons of granola on the top of that and spoon 2 tablespoons of fruit on the top of that. Add honey to taste.



Again, this serves more than just one person and this is the perfect dish to use the homemade honey granola. This is one of my favourite breakfast foods as it tastes amazing and it will keep you going. It is rich in protein and fibre that keeps you full for longer so that you can say goodbye to 11am biscuit cravings.

So that concludes my 5 quick and healthy breakfast ideas. I hope this has helped some of you especially those who are always in a rush. Also, this is simple breakfast ideas even if you do have a free day and they taste so delicious. If your new year's resolutions are like mine and that is to have healthier meals or stop skipping breakfast then this is the perfect start. Please do leave a comment below sharing your healthy breakfast ideas and don't forget to check out all of my social media sites when you get the chance. Xx

Twitter: @jessieashleyyy
Instagram: @fashion_jessie
Email: jessicashleyyy@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment