Thursday 13 November 2014

Autumnal Treats - Pumpkin Perfection

Hi everybody!


I am well aware that we have began the month of November and all the excitement of fall flavours like pumpkin and salted caramel have simmered down slightly. However, during this autumn I did spend quite a lot of time in the kitchen baking up little treats and wonderful bits and bobs. I really enjoyed myself as baking does make me happy and I always say that if I wasn't doing what I am doing now, I would probably pursue baking given that the right opportunity presents itself. I wanted to share two of my absolute favourite pumpkin treats with all of you as I really surprised myself by how good they turned out. The two recipes that I will share is a simple and delicious pumpkin fudge along with pumpkin spice cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting.

I guess I am not the biggest pumpkin lover out there, then again I don't hate the taste of pumpkin but when I think pumpkin flavours, my mind automatically flashes back to little 12 year old me, at family Sunday roast dinners where pumpkin was served on a huge platter, in large wedges, roasted and with a glaze on the top. However, I find that incorporating pumpkin into baking is a completely different story. For some of you out there, pumpkin is quite a common ingredient to have on your list of baking supplies especially during the autumnal months but I guess I lie within the more mainstream, amateur category whereby I tend to stick to chocolate brownies and vanilla cupcakes. Again, speaking as a newbie to the world of baking, these are very common recipes but for me it was actually my first time trying out some fall themed treats and I was very happy with them and I look forward to more baking fun in the very near future and hopefully by this time next month, I will be sharing Christmassy recipes.


Pumpkin Fudge

Ingredients:-

  • 3 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup melted butter
  • 2/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 2 tbsp corn syrup
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 1/2 cup white chocolate, chopped
  • 3/4 cup marshmallow creme
  • 1 cup pecans, chopped
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Method:-
  1. Combine the sugar, butter, milk, pumpkin, corn syrup and spice over medium high heat.
  2. Cook for 12 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.
  3. Line a pan with foil and pour in the mixture. Let it sit for 2 hours before cutting to serve.


Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:-

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Method:-
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Prepare a muffin tin by lining with paper liners. Whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine pumpkin puree, brown sugar, sugar, vegetable oil and eggs and mix until well blended. Min in flour mixture until combined.
  3. Scoop into prepared muffin tin filling 3/4 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove and let cool on a rack.
  4. For the frosting, beat together the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar slowly and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and cinnamon.
  5. If necessary, add more powdered sugar until the frosting is from enough to hold its shape but still light and fluffy. Frost the cooled cupcakes.


Although autumn has now come and just about gone, do try out these recipes if you would like to as they are quite autumnal-wintery themed treats and they are so simple and straight forward to do. I hope you enjoy your baking fun in the kitchen and share your finished treats on Instagram with the hashtag #jessthedream and I will be sure to check them out. Comment below sharing your favourite bakes and check out my other social media sites as well. Have a great day! Xx

Use the hashtag #jessthedream on Instagram to share your autumnal treats

Twitter: @jessieashleyyy
Instagram: @fashion_jessie
Email: jessicashleyyy@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment